LegislationLaw of the Republic of Kazakhstan on Languages
This Law ascertains legal principles of languages functioning in the Republic of Kazakhstan, responsibilities of the state in establishing the conditions for their study and development, ensuring equally respectful attitude to all languages used in the Republic of Kazakhstan without exception.
Article 1. (Principal notions)
The following notions are made use of in this Law:
- Diaspora - part of the people (ethnic community), living outside the country of it historic origin;
- Onomastics - section of linguistics studying, proper names, history of their origin and transformation;
- Orthography - spelling, a system of rules determining uniformity of the ways of expressing speech (words and grammar forms) in writing;
- Toponymy - section of onomastics studying names of geographical objects, regularities of their origin, change, functioning;
- Transliteration - a word-for-word expression of texts and individual words of one graphic system by means of another;
Article 2. (Object of regulation of this Law)
The object of regulation of this Law shall be social relations arising in conjunction with usage of the languages in the activity of state, non-state organizations and local self-government. This Law shall not regulate usage of languages in relations between individuals and in religious associations.
Article 3. (Legislation on languages in the Republic of Kazakhstan)
Legislation on languages in the Republic of Kazakhstan shall be based on the Constitution of the Republic of Kazakhstan, comprising this Law; other normative legal acts thereof, related to the usage and development of languages. Legislation on languages shall apply to citizens of the Republic of Kazakhstan, foreigners and stateless persons permanently residing in the Republic of Kazakhstan.
Article 4. (State language of the Republic of Kazakhstan)