Local time in Karaganda city is December 9, 11:59 pm (+6 UTC).
The first settlement appeared in 1856, and small-scale coal mining began in 1857 to supply a nearby copper smelter. Mining ceased in Karaganda in the 1920s but expanded quickly after 1931 following completion of a railway link and a decree that Karaganda basin was to be developed as a major coal-mining area to supply industry in the Urals of Russia.
Karaganda received the status of the city in 1934 and Karaganda oblast center in 1936. By 1939 Karaganda population had swollen to 166, 000. Forced labor was extensively used in Karaganda development.
Karaganda city importance increased during World War II, when the Germans occupied Donets basin and Parkhomenko coalmining machinery works was among those evacuated to Karaganda.
Karaganda city, Kazakhstan street
Karagandy city street
Karaganda city view
Coal mining and the production of coal-mining machinery still dominate in Karaganda industry, but there are also major iron and steel works, utilizing ore from Karazhal and Lisakovsk. In addition, there are large cement plants and also food and other light industries.
Karaganda consists of several dozen settlements, but there are two main areas, the Old and New towns. Karaganda Old Town grew up in a haphazard fashion in the early years and includes more than 20 settlements.
Karaganda New Town, to the south, begun in 1934 and was designed as the cultural and administrative center of Karaganda oblast. New city has wide streets, parks and such monumental buildings as Minersâ€™ Palace of Culture.
There are several institutions of higher education, including a university and medical and polytechnic institutes in Karaganda city of Kazakhstan. There are also a number of research and design institutes, a museum, theaters, a television center and a botanical garden in Karaganda.